Friday, January 20, 2012

Quick Cleaning

Well, I was bored, and having just mixed up that solvent, I decided to give it a whirl and try cleaning up the electronics box cover. That thing has a huge mess of ink on it. Well, it did. Here's some pix:

This is the 'before' pic. A little cleanup I did on the side for the previous demo pictures, but otherwise, just how it was. The ink blotches there are actually caked ink.. it's been dripping down there for some time. Looks like since the last service was botched.

My method for cleaning it is something I should mention, since I was trying to NOT use 800 paper towels. I basically dabbed a liberal amount of the solvent onto the ink blob, and let it soak in to soften/dissolve the ink. I then used the paper towel to scrape off as much of the bulk ink as I could, and repeated. It only took a couple passes on each large blob. Afterwards, I went over it with a solvent-dampened clean one, and that finished things off.

The 'after' shot. This is after I got all that gunk off. The ink seems to have done something to the metal coating, as I was not able to affect the blotches there. The little warning sticker was doing okay at first, but the overlaminate gave in to the solvent, as it had already been badly damaged by the ink. Only the backing (minus the printing) is there.



All in all, it was a great test. The solvent did a wonderful job of cleaning up the ink from rough metal even, and I'm looking forward to using it for cleaning the lines and whatnot as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment