Friday, July 15, 2011

Well, this is it.

I've been wanting to get into digital vinyl printing for awhile; I have plenty of experience with cutting and such, using plotters, but I really wanted to be able to get the jobs that I had to turn away or send to someone else done myself.
So, after keeping a watchful eye on Craigslist for a long time, I found the perfect printer: a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor 48".

Sure, some may say it's not the best printer, that it's rife with issues and is old technology, that much newer things are better, but the real issue is that new printers are very expensive ($15,000). I wanted something somewhat inexpensive that I could work on and get parts for. (Roland ColorCAMMs are TOO old)

So, I'm now the proud owner of a partially-working Mutoh Falcon!
Here's a little about the machine:
  • It can do 1440x1440dpi color prints onto vinyl using eco-solvent inks, which are good outdoor for a year or two. More if you put overlaminate on them.
  • It can print up to 46" wide!
  • It has a take up roller, front and rear heaters, and huge ink tanks!
  • The person who sold it to me was really awesome and gave me his old copy of Flexi 7.6, which is a RIP used to rasterize graphics into a format the printer can read.

However, things are not all roses:
  • The machine has been sitting for about 3 years without being run. Most of the time I've read that machines sitting even six months will need new heads, but I'm going to try and revive these, I think it may be a lost cause though.
  • I'm going to need all new supplies for this system. Vinyl, inks, etc, which are not cheap.
  • The printer will need to be run, at the minimum, through a cleaning cycle every couple days to keep the ink from solidifying in the heads and elsewhere. 
  • I'm going to want a larger plotter, with optical registration to be able to contour-cut the stickers I plan on printing. 
However, I think I'm up to the challenge. I have a good working knowledge of inkjet technologies and printer mechanics, and with a relatively small investment (~$1500) I hope to have this machine up and running. I'll be posting photos, my victories and my defeats, in the hopes that someone else who is looking to do this can get some useful information.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm looking at doing the exact same thing. Just bought a Falcon Outdoor Jr. 38" off ebay. I'm expecting there to be lots of cleaning in my future.

    Did you find a source for your bulk cartridges and cleaning fluid.

    Also see your into 3D printers, I'm almost done with a Joe's CNC 4x4. You should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I haven't posted a lot cause I'm currently busy with money allocated to other expenses, such as moving, so rest assured this isn't dead! I want to start working on cleaning things out, so I may pick up some fluid and cleaning supplies soon. I've been looking at SolventInkOnline, they sell some parts which are pretty cheap, but I may trust CMYKParts.com for more of the small stuff, I hear he's pretty knowledgeable on these machines. Here's the cleaning solution I'm looking at; they also have some bulk cartridges I'll prolly get one of to start working the solution into the lines.
    http://www.solventinkonline.com/comersus8f/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=109#

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oop, and yesh, I've built a RepRap, and I assisted a friend in building a Joe's CNC! It's Adam's Build from user 'afisher' on the Joe's forum. It's still only half-working, but I'm going to be bringing it to our local hackerspace to finish up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. About how much does the printer weight? I'm sizing up how much help I'm going to need to get it off the truck when mine arrives.

    I've also read that a gallon of butly cellosolve and a quart of acetone and mix them together 4/1 ratio, will make solvent cleaner. I'm trying to find out if it will work with our printers.

    Here's the thread: http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=723010

    Thanks,
    -Oliver

    ReplyDelete